The European State Forest Association (EUSTAFOR) represents state forest companies, enterprises and agencies that have sustainable forest management and sustainable wood production as major concerns. The Association currently has 36 members in 25 European countries.
Established in 2006 by Metsähallitus (Finland), Office National des Forets (France), Latvijas Vasts Mezi (Latvia) and Österreichische Bundesforste AG (Austria).
- Total land area managed ~ 49 million ha (~ 30% of EU forests)
- Total forest area managed ~ 42 million ha (including French overseas departments)
- Protected forests ~ 8,3 million ha
- Protective forests ~ 6 million ha
- Forests designated as Natura 2000 areas ~ 7,9 million ha
- Annual increment ~ 200 million m3
- Annual harvest ~ 120 million m3
- Number of employees ~ 100 000
Why does sustainable and multifunctional forest management matter?
Managing State Forests in Europe
Managing State Forests Responsibly – for People, Climate and Nature