The European State Forest Association (EUSTAFOR) represents commercially-oriented state forest companies, enterprises and agencies that have sustainable forest management and sustainable wood production as major concerns. The association currently has 34 members from 24 European countries who represent one third of the European Union’s forest area.
The overall goal of EUSTAFOR is to support and strengthen state forest management organizations throughout Europe, helping them to maintain and enhance their economically viable, socially beneficial, culturally valuable and ecologically responsible sustainable forest management.
The Forest-based Sector Technology Platform (FTP) is a European Technology Platform recognized by the European Commission, with its headquarters situated in Brussels. It is supported by stakeholders in more than 20 European countries. The mission of FTP is, in line with the 2040 vision of FTP stakeholders, to support the implementation of a European Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda.
The forest-based sector is one of Europe’s largest sectors, and includes woodworking industries, pulp and paper industries and printing industries, as well as forest owners. It contributes some 8% of the EU’s total manufacturing added value, and sustainably manages forests covering 37% of the EU’s land area.
The successful candidate must be able to understand and communicate efficiently with the European institutions, relevant forestry and forest-sector stakeholders, industry associations and confederations in Brussels, as well as with EUSTAFOR’s member organizations and FTP’s national and regional stakeholders.
The successful applicant will be posted to EUSTAFOR and FTP’s Head Offices located in the European Forestry House in Brussels.
The main responsibilities of the position are:
- Drafting and publishing content (in English) for the associations’ websites and social media
- Publishing newsletters and press releases, contributing to the elaboration of statements, position papers, presentations, fact sheets and other promotional materials (in English)
- Outreach activities:
- Liaising with members, stakeholders, project partners, national experts, scientific and academic experts
- Establishing contacts with journalists
- Developing communication activities together with other partner organizations
- Analyzing target groups (such as, but not limited to, the European institutions and European member states, other stakeholders, industry) and the effectiveness of the communications activities undertaken
- Organizing and/or supporting other team members with internal and external events and meetings (both content & practical tasks) and post-meeting processing (e.g. drafting meeting minutes, website updates, etc.)
- Miscellaneous office administration, including occasional practical support to the European Forestry House Office Manager
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (proficiency in French and/or Dutch is a plus)
- Critical thinking and a proven ability to condense the main message out of various contexts and complex situations
- Excellent knowledge of standard office applications and website content management systems (Drupal, WordPress & Mailchimp)
- Ability to be self-driven and work independently
- A flexible approach towards working both in terms of shifting tasks and the organization of work time
- Familiarity with communication techniques using social media and/or journalism
- A good understanding of the functioning of the European institutions
- Professional experience and understanding of the forest-based sector and/or the EU research and innovation landscape is considered a merit
- Proven ability to plan and organize events
- Experience of office management in a Belgian setting is a plus
Education & Training
- At least a 3-year university degree relevant to the position
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Applicants are asked to submit a CV (maximum 2 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) that also indicates salary expectations. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com. The email subject should read: “Application FTP/EUSTAFOR Communications Officer”
Closing date for applications is 15 May 2019
European Forestry House
Rue du Luxembourg 66
1000 Brussels, Belgium
Tel. +32 (0)2 239 23 00