Call on topics for biodiversity in Horizon Europe Work Programme 2022
The first Work Programme (2021-2022) of Horizon Europe, the EU’s key funding programme for research and innovation, has now entered into the 2nd year, with calls open till February 15th, 2022.
Cluster 6 (Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment) includes many R&I funding opportunities in the area of Biodiversity and Nature-based Solutions (NBS). In particular, Destination “Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services”, includes over 10 topics covering research on biodiversity, monitoring marine biodiversity, on taxonomy, nature-based solutions and transformative change for biodiversity, measuring the biodiversity footprint of products and organisations, agrobiodiversity, pollinators, and integrating research into biodiversity policy making and implementation. The possible budget of these topics is worth more than EUR 158 mio. The overall value for biodiversity across Horizon Europe is significantly higher.
Due to COVID and a number of other reasons, not all topics received a sufficient number of applications in the 2021 round. The budget has therefore not been used for biodiversity purposes, so we would call for promoting this information to potential applicants for these 2022 topics.
The following topics are particularly targeting biodiversity and nature-based solutions:
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-01: Observing and mapping biodiversity and ecosystems, with particular focus on coastal and marine ecosystems
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-02: Building taxonomic research capacity near biodiversity hotspots and for protected areas by networking natural history museums and other taxonomic facilities
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-03: Network for nature: multi-stakeholder dialogue platform to promote nature-based solutions
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-04: Natural capital accounting: Measuring the biodiversity footprint of products and organizations
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-05: Intercropping – understanding and using the benefits of complexity in farming and value chains
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-06: Monitoring and effective measures for agrobiodiversity
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-07: Protection and sustainable management of forest genetic resources of high interest for biodiversity, climate change adaptation, and forest reproductive materials
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-08: Assessing the nexus of extraction, production, consumption, trade and behaviour patterns and of climate change action on biodiversity in the context of transformative change
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-09: Understanding the role of behaviour, gender specifics, lifestyle, religious and cultural values, and addressing the role of enabling players (civil society, policy makers, financing and business leaders, retailers) in decision making
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-01-10: Cooperation with the Convention on Biological Diversity
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-BIODIV-02-01-two-stage: Maintaining and restoring pollinators and pollination services in European agricultural landscapes
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-ZEROPOLLUTION-01-03: EU-China international cooperation on nature-based solutions for nutrient management in agriculture
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-COMMUNITIES-01-05: Assessing the socio-politics of nature-based solutions for more inclusive and resilient communities
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-COMMUNITIES-02-02-two-stage: Developing nature-based therapy for health and well-being
Info Days on the Work Programme 2022 took place 25-27 October. See recordings and matchmaking tool on Horizon Europe – Cluster 6: Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment (europa.eu)
For questions, go to the Research Enquiry Service | European Commission (europa.eu) Earlier questions and answers are on the FAQ section of the Funding & tenders (europa.eu) portal.
Information on the eligibility for funding for participants (research bodies, private or public organisations) is found on https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/docs/2021-2027/horizon/guidance/programme-guide_horizon_en.pdf