Who owns European Forests?
The Seminar on the Forest Ownership in the UNECE Region: trends – opportunities – challenges
14 December 2018, European Forestry House, Rue du Luxembourg 66, Brussels
While forest ownership may appear to be a relatively straightforward concept, it is quite complex, entailing different rights, responsibilities, organizational procedures and understandings that vary considerably depending on country and context. These differences, in turn, profoundly affect the way forests are managed and thereby the benefits that can be derived from them.
To understand how ownership is changing and the implications for management and policy, UNECE and FAO, in cooperation with the COST Action FACESMAP as well as EUSTAFOR and FECOF, developed a study “State of Forest Ownership in the UNECE Region”, based in large part on a survey of national data and expert opinions.
At the event, authors of the study presented analyses on forests, forest policies and forest management under different ownership. The presentation of the main results of the study, including the launch of the thematic inter-active database, set the scene for discussions on the status, trends, opportunities and challenges, with the representatives of European Institutions, representatives of forest owner organizations and the Brussels-based stakeholders.
Published 14/12/2018, Brussels
Mr. Piotr Borkowski
- +32 (0)2 239 23 04
- +32 (0)474 989 319
- Invitation & Programme (.pdf)
- Draft extract from the report "The State of Forest ownership in the UNECE Region" (.pdf)
- Introduction: Roman Michalak (.pdf)
- Presentation Anna Lawrence: State of Forest Ownership in the UNECE Region – Main Findings (.pdf)
- Presentation Gun Lidestav: Forest Ownership (In Change) In the World and the UNECE Region (.pdf)
- Presentation Filip Aggestam: State of Forest Ownership in the UNECE Region – Concepts and Definitions (.pdf)
- Presentation Liviu Nichiforel: Private forest ownership - Policy Instruments and Legislation (.pdf)
- Presentation Max Krott: Organization of public forest ownership - Performance of state forest organizations - (.pdf)
- Biographies of Speakers and Panelists (.)