Welcome to the Forest Service of Catalonia!
EUSTAFOR welcomes the Forest Service of Catalonia as an Associate Member, first from Spain, as of 1 January 2018. The Executive Committee approved the application from Catalonia at its meeting on 12 June 2017 in Poiana Braşov.
The Executive Director met with experts of the Forest Service of Catalonia during in the forest fire workshop organized by ONF on 26.27 April 2017 in Aix en Provence (link). Catalonia’s active participation in the the workshop, rich program and the relevance of the topics discussed were a good basis for further discussing EUSTAFOR membership with the Forest Service of Catalonia.
Ms. Montserrat Barniol Carcasona, is the General Director of Forest Ecosystem and Environmental Management of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishery and Food of Catalonia. A dedicated sub-directorate for forests, directed by Mr. Enric Vadell Guiral, is responsible of the following:
- To promote plans and programs for the management of forest resources;
- To coordinate actions in the field of forestry and livestock services and livestock and grassland paths, and establish the promotion and control actions for the improvement of forest lands and the rational use and production of forests and pastures.
- To coordinate actions in the field of forestry hydrology and combating erosion for the protection, conservation and improvement of agricultural land and forests;
- To establish measures for the prevention of forest fires;
- To manage the public property patrimony;
- To carry out measures for the promotion and control of the quality of forest reproductive material, forest genetic material and the conservation of biodiversity through forest seed banks;
- To promote the forest bioeconomy and support forest industries and bioenergy as well as innovation in forestry;
- To promote research, training and specialization in the forestry sector and technology transfer;
- To inform policy makers of sustainable forest management and the multifunctionality of forests;
- To promote actions for the adaptation of forest ecosystems to climate change and biodiversity.
(more information in Catalan).
We gladly welcome our Catalonian colleagues to the EUSTAFOR family and look forward to an excellent further cooperation with them.
Mr. Piotr Borkowski
- +32 (0)474 989 319